Friday, December 11, 2009

Climate Change

Rockies are ready to resign Torrealba. Hooray! (hopefully. back off, giants!!)

Recently when I turn on the news I see reports about climate change, false emails, and angry conservatives.

Ok people heres the thing: It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the world is getting hotter, polar bears are dying, ice bergs melting (though you should definitely get to places like Glacier National Park before they are all gone.) Why doesn't it matter? Because all the things that combat global warming are good. Walking, driving your car less? good. Using renewable resources? also good. Theres no if ands or buts about it.

I guess the other issue is whether we should be forced to do these things. Well let me suggest that we'll never do it until we're forced. NEVER. By the rules of capitalism, large businesses are inherently self serving. Sure they donate to charities, but thats all just for good PR, and always within reason. Something this big has to come by necessity; either by government force, or a world suffocated by stifling heat. And let me make this clear: greenhouse gases in the air are bad. bad. Been to L.A. recently? Might as well be a smoker.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Whoo, Torrealba!

Also, in regards to your post, I want to share this link since it has always made me laugh in a dark humor sort of way (as it is supposed to do):
http://xkcd.com/164/

bscarter said...

Agree completely. I'm in the air as it comes to global warming, but I know that I can save a lot of $ by being more efficient - LED bulbs, organic products, using my truck less, etc... all add up to money saved in my wallet. That should appeal to anyone.

The Future said...

Whoo, Torrealba! (for the Rangers!)