Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wow! Rockies Baseball!

I have, for the past week or so, meant to post on a couple of recent trips. I joined my friend Micaela on an AMAZING trip to Glacier National park, then more recently climbed Bison peak with my girlfriend (yup, still Tami) and Micaela. But then I experienced a once in a lifetime event.

One of my favorite things to do here in Denver is go to Rockies games. From previous posts you know all the things I love about it. It's a big reason that I choose to stay here in Denver and not move up to the mountains, or other beautiful places such as Oregon.

So I bought tickets to last nights game, and sat in our usual seats (upper outfield reserved, first base side where you get a great view of the mountains)

We played the San Francisco Giants, a team 3 games back in the wild card, and quickly turning into a rival. Winning here would be HUGE.

It was a game full of complete futility. I was constantly frustrated. We scored 1 run, 1 RUN!!!, that coming off a bases loaded walk, through all of regulation. Luckily the Giants could only muster 1 first inning run of their own. We constantly got men on base, men on third and 1 out, 1st and 3rd one out, over and over, and time after time we left them there. We couldn't score. Neither could they. The 9th inning came and went. 11th. then 12th. 13, then 14. I told Tami I was on an emotional roller coaster. I'd get excited only to be let down again.


Then came the 14th inning. The Giants strung some big hits together, scored 3 runs to go up 4-1. Only a miracle could win this game for us. After all, we had all those chances, we deserved to lose.

In the bottom of the inning, they gave us some base runners by way of walks. Cool, but no way I'm getting excited. I've seen this before. Fowler gets up, hits a ball off his knee, somehow gets back up to hit, and walks. From this point on, he's hobbling around the base paths. With one out, the bases get loaded, and guess whose up? Yeah, the pitcher. Perfect. And no, we had NO MORE bench players. I read in an article today that if we tied the game, the pitcher was going to play right field.

Then the unthinkable happens. They walk the pitcher, forcing in a run.

We now trail 4-2, Ryan Spilborghs up to bat. Spilly, by the way, has already grounded into a double play when just a fly ball would have won the game, and misplayed a double, turning it into a triple. Heres the clip of what happens next: (including a little on what already took place in the inning)

I could not contain myself. All that pent up frustration released in a single swing. It was awesome.

-JJ

3 comments:

Tamara said...

It makes me happy how much baseball makes you happy. :) It was amazing to be there!

The Future said...

it makes me happy how much having baseball make you happy makes tami happy. :)

your rockies are doing great, man.

why can't you root for a rangers/rockies world series? there would be no boston/nyy, and you would probably win. and if not, well, you might hear more from rangers fans. never mind.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a moment. You can't write scripts like that, they're just not believable enough.
check out my facebook page for a few katrina sailing trip photos.
dad